Spring 2020 Shabbat Clusters
Check out the Shabbat Clusters FAQ to get answers to some common questions and learn more about the program before you register!
Shabbat Clusters are groups of 15-30 people ages 22-45, who meet monthly for informal potluck Shabbat dinners in each other’s homes or at local restaurants all over the DC Metro area. Shabbat Clusters have been going strong for over 19 years and in our last season 475 young professionals registered for the program.
Please fill out the form and register for this session on the next page. We'll match you into groups based on where you live, your age, and level of observance and offer groups for singles and couples. Registration deadline for our first round of sign-ups is March 13 so we have enough time to put together groups before our kick-off dinner. Registration is rolling after this deadline until half way through our season in June and space is open based on availability in groups formed.
In 2016 we addeded some new elements to the program:
1. The first 3 months of the program will have set dates for when the groups meet for monthly potlucks and the last 3 months your group will pick their own dates to meet. If you can't make all of the potlucks don't worry, often your group will meet outside of Shabbat for other activities!
CANCELED: Shabbat Cluster Kick-Off Dinner - Friday, March 20 (optional)
Special Theme: National Refugee Shabbat
An opportunity to meet some people in your Shabbat Cluster group at the EDCJCC!
Shabbat Cluster Dinner #1 - New date will be announced
Suggested Theme: Pre-Passover Pizza Party
Carbs before Passover begins!
Shabbat Cluster Dinner #2 - Friday, May 1
Suggested Theme: Israeli Independence Day
Shabbat Cluster Dinner #3 - Friday, June 5
Suggested Theme: BBQ Time
It's almost summer!
2. You can choose between a general Shabbat Cluster or an interest Shabbat Cluster. Examples of past interest clusters have been arts, outdoors, Singles, and foodies.
3. Your group will be 14-30 people. We recognize that in order for Shabbat Clusters to be successful there needs to be a critical mass of people at each gathering and that not everyone in the group can make it to each dinner. Shabbat Clusters will be assigned a Shabbat Clusters Coordinator who will help you plan who will host each dinner, where and when it will take place, and will answer any questions you have about the program. Shabbat Cluster Coordinators may organize dinners with Sister Shabbat Cluster groups, another cluster group similar to your own.
4. We know this adulting thing can be tough and you don't always have the time or money to prepare for Shabbat. OneTable, a community nonprofit and social dining platform can help with nourishment and other resources! Nourishment options are meant to nourish you and your guests to help elevate your Shabbat dinner experience. You will find out more about this option through your Shabbat Cluster Coordinator.
Your Shabbat Cluster will meet through the spring/summer. In Fall 2020 we'll launch a new session of Shabbat Clusters. Check out the Shabbat Clusters FAQ to get answers to some common questions.
Remember, each person must complete their own registration form. If you would like to be placed with a friend or partner, make sure you both request each other on the form. We will do our best to fulfill all requests.
Due to an abundance of caution, we will be CANCELING the Spring Shabbat Cluster Kick-Off Dinner next Friday, March 20 as it is a larger gathering
Spring Shabbat Clusters Season is STILL ON and registration will continue to be open until all groups are full
- We will email you March 27 with your Spring Shabbat Clusters group, assigned Cluster Coordinator(s), and information about the season
- The first small group Spring Shabbat Clusters meal, originally April 3, will move to April 17 or May 1 and final date will be announced
- Since we are not able to meet for our Kick-Off Dinner, we are excited to help subsidize group potluck dinners for the season